Hosting a Young Leader
Mindanao Young Leaders Programme
UnionAID is seeking host families for its new Mindanao Young Leaders Programme from August until December 2019.
The Mindanao Young Leaders Programme (MYLP) is a four-month programme managed by UnionAID in collaboration with International Alert and Victoria University of Wellington and funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The programme will help young community leaders from Mindanao further develop their knowledge, skills and confidence so they can be leaders in the sustainable and peaceful development of their communities and the wider Mindanao area.
It builds leadership in several ways: by exposing participants to new ideas and institutions in New Zealand and inspiring them to think critically about what they can apply to the challenges in their own communities. The programme will build participants, research, evaluation, presentation, communication and analytical skills. Participants will work together on a cross ethnic and cross-religious basis and take an inclusive approach to build unity, understanding and equality at all levels in society.
- Participants are young leaders from community and non-government organisations from across the Mindanao region of the Philippines.
- Participants range in age from 23-30 years.
- Participants of diverse religion, ethnicity and gender.
- Hosting a young leader is a rewarding experience.
- Your family will have the opportunity to engage with and learn from the students, while also sharing your home, your knowledge and New Zealand life-style.
- Host families join the wider Mindanao Young Leaders Programme community and are invited to join special events and activities.
- Openness and willingness to share your home with a young person from a different background than your own.
- Intercultural and religious tolerance and sensitivity.
- Genuine interest in fostering a young leader’s learning.
- A weekly payment of $285 weekly of which $20 is pooled for shared activities.
What you need to provide
- Central location with good access to public transport
- A separate bedroom
- Bedding and linen
- Desk and lamp
- Access to internet
- Breakfast and an evening meal from Monday to Friday
- Breakfast, lunch and an evening meal at weekends