Update: Applications for 2021 have now closed
COVID 19 Implications
At present, the 2021 Myanmar Young Leaders Programme is intended to go ahead from June 2021. Due to the potentially ongoing impacts of the pandemic such as health risks, travel restrictions and quarantine policies, prospective candidates should be aware that the programme may have to be cancelled, postponed or adapted to ensure the safety and wellbeing of everyone involved.
Interviews and English language testing for 2021 short-listed candidates will most likely take place via video-conferencing or a combination of video and face-to-face interviews.
How to apply
Information for applicants
To be eligible for the programme, applicants must:
- be mature young adults, usually between 24 and 35
- be living and working in Myanmar
- be working for a community based organisation NGO, women’s organisation, labour union, or similar NGO/CBO in Myanmar.
- have English language proficiency, equivalent to ≥5 IELTS (or TOEFL 35-45). English levels are assessed at the interview stage. You do not have to have sat an IELTs test.
- intend to return to work for your organisation for a minimum of a year on completion of the programme
- hold a passport issued by the Government of Myanmar valid for 6 months beyond your return departure date
What qualities are the selection panel looking for?
- demonstrated leadership and future leadership potential;
- a commitment to development and community work;
- a commitment to working with other ethnic and religious groups;
- open-mindedness and maturity;
- support from their employing organisation including a mutual commitment to continue the employment for one-year post-MYLP;
- the identification of a specific and relevant topic to research while in New Zealand, and which would provide the basis of an action project to undertake on their return home.
In making the final selection the selection panel will ensure that the group reflects an ethnic, religious and gender mix where possible, and that immigration requirements for a student visa are met.
Before beginning your application
- Read the MYLP 2021 prospectus
- The prospectus has information about eligibility, selection criteria, and what to expect from the programme
- Check that you are eligible
- Read the elibility criteria to make sure that you are eligible to apply for the programme
- Prepare the information for the application
- The application requires you to provide information about your education and work, upload a letter of support from your organisation, and write short essays about your work and your goals. Make sure you are prepared to provide this information before beginning. You are able to save your application and continue later if you need to.