Who we are
We help workers form unions in developing nations. Our values are equality, understanding and partnership.
Unions Aotearoa International Development Trust (UnionAID) is a charitable trust established in 2009 as the international aid and development agency of the NZ Council of Trade Unions – Te Kauae Kaimahi (NZCTU) to express solidarity with partners in developing countries struggling to protect and promote the rights of workers and their families.
As such it is a unique aid organisation, working in partnership with trusted organisations in developing countries which identify, develop and implement projects according to their needs. Our partners have the knowledge, skills and language, and understand the local context for maximum project impact.
UnionAID was established in 2009 as an independent Charitable Trust with trustees appointed by the NZCTU. It was established to provide a channel for New Zealand workers to contribute to international development through support for programmes which directly assist unions and workers and their families in developing countries.
UnionAid is a registered charity with New Zealand Charities Services and an accredited aid organisation registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
WHY CHOOSE UNIONAID
Make UnionAID your charity of choice because it is uniquely union with
- projects identified and implemented by local partners who understand the context
- 100% of individual donations going directly to the projects
- a worker focus, supporting adults so they can raise their families in dignity
- all fundraising and report writing done by volunteers
- administration provided by union donations or in-kind union support